10.18.2011

Lessons Learned in Palestine

After living here in Palestine for 3 1/2 months, I thought it was about time that I showed you that I am actually learning some things. Some of these are light hearted while others are a bit more serious.
  • Sidewalks are not for walking. Actually, if you try to walk on the sidewalk it ends up feeling like an obstacle course, so you're just better off walking on the street the whole time. The sidewalks are used for parked cars and shabaab (young men) hanging out and people-watching.
  • A simple hello is not a sufficient way to greet someone. When you run into someone or see them for the first time that day, you must ask how they are doing, their family, their work, etc. 
  • Eye contact is an invitation. The instant I make eye contact with a man, he seems to take it as an invitation to talk to me, to approach me, basically everything I don't want. So, as hard as it is for me, whenever I am outside I stare straight ahead and avoid eye contact. Sunglasses help with this, too.
  • Nonviolence is a key part of Palestinian resistance. The thing is, Western media fails to show this common trend among Palestinians. But I have become a much stronger believer in the power of nonviolence since being here, and especially from working with Holy Land Trust.
  • You must have a will of steel to refuse food. Usually, you'll have to say no at least three times before the host gives up. I almost always give in unless I know I will literally puke if I eat anymore.
  • Women shouldn't sit in the front of a taxi. Sitting in the front seat can communicate several things about you, none of which are very flattering. So I always sit in the back seat.
These are just a few lessons that I can think of. It's crazy how much I'm still learning after almost four months here, but I'm sure when I leave in December there'll still be a lot left to learn.
Some recent adventures:
Recent HLT-organized press conference in Al Walaja about the struggles there. From left to right: Al Walaja resident, Sheikh of Bethlehem, Governor of Bethlehem, Archbishop Atallah of the Orthodox Church of Jerusalem, Mayor of Al Walaja, and Sami Awad, executive director of HLT
At a march in support of Palestinian prisoners' hunger strike in Israeli prisons. I'm holding the picture of a Palestinian prisoner with eight life sentences.
Rana and me, helping out with the olive harvest in a nearby village. Rana is one of my favorite people in the HLT office :)
Skype with my crazy parents, always a highlight

She'll probably hate me for this, but I loved skyping with the always-entertaining Marissa Tan

4 comments:

  1. I am now picturing you walking down the streets of Bethlehem wearing sunglasses, like you're trying to avoid the paparazzi. hmm... nice picture of Mommy and Daddy :) -E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah...hate you almost as much as I love you. Thanks for bearing with the crazy internet connection; I enjoyed talking with you. And I'm super-proud of you, supporting the Palestinian prisoners' hunger strike. You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE SKYPING WITH MARISSA TOO.

    ReplyDelete