9.14.2011

The McRays come to Palestine

Post-edit: I am continuing to upload all of my pictures to a web album, you can view them by clicking on the "pictures" link on the right.

Every HNGR intern has the unique chance of a Wheaton faculty member visiting them around halfway through their internship. My faculty visitor, Sydney McRay, came to visit last Sunday, the 4th, through Wednesday night. Her husband Barrett came with her as Craig's faculty visitor. Sydney is a special assistant in the HNGR office, and mentored me all last year, so we know each other pretty well. She and Barrett both have experience in Palestine, and they are just great people in general, so I loved having them here! I got to introduce them to everyone in the HLT office, show them around Bethlehem, eat DELICIOUS food with them, and most importantly, they spent time with my family and me. Sydney stayed with me for two nights, which gave us a chance to catch up and debrief on the past four months.
Barrett and Sydney in my house with my host parents
I went into Jerusalem with them on Tuesday night, and we spent the night in the Old City. There was an amazing view of the Old City, including the Dome of the Rock and the Mt. of Olives, from the hotel roof.
On the roof with the Dome of the Rock and Mt. of Olives behind us

On Wednesday morning, we rented a car and did a whirlwind tour of some sights around Israel! First, we headed to the coast, checking out the 2,000 year old ruins in Caesarea. Herod the Great had built a port on the Mediterranean coast, including a Hippodrome (Roman race track). Many believe that Paul was taken here to stand trial before he was sent to Rome. Needless to say, it was awesome.
A view of the beach right next to the Roman ruins
Sydney and I enjoying the beautiful water of the Mediterranean
Barrett looking very Roman on the race track


After a nice lunch at a cafe, we headed up to Nazareth. There, we visited a church marking the spot where the angel Gabriel appeared to Mary to tell her she would bear a son, Jesus Christ. The church has beautiful artwork from many different countries around the world depicting the Virgin Mary.
Church of Annunciation
A mosaic depiction of the Virgin Mary with the baby Jesus, from Japan
From Nazareth, we headed west to Tiberius, including the Sea of Galilee and the Mt. of Beatitudes. We also got some delicious shawerma here!
The Sea of Galilee
View from the top of Mt. of Beatitudes. This plateau on the mountain is the spot where Jesus most likely preached the Sermon on the Mount
Finally, we drove down the eastern border between Palestine and Jordan, back to Jerusalem. We managed to squeeze in a trip to the top of the Mt. of Olives, which gave us a beautiful nighttime view of the Old City of Jerusalem.

On top of the Mt. of Olives after a packed day of sightseeing
All in all, it was a great visit! I loved sharing my life here with Sydney and Barrett, and catching up with them after not seeing each other for over four months. It was sad to say goodbye to them, but I now feel reenergized for the second half of my internship. Thanks, Sydney and Barrett :)

Recent articles:

4 comments:

  1. We are so thankful for Wheaton's excellent oversight of your internship and for Sydney and Barrett's care for you. I'm jealous of their time there with you and looking forward to when my turn comes in December. Yippee!--KTJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like wendy, and her pictures, and her blog. wendy is the greatest! she should put up another post ;) bye!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this a while ago and just realized I had to stop before posting a comment. I love all your pictures- I have all the same ones just with different faces! :) I'm glad you got to do some sightseeing but more importantly that you got to share your world with people from Wheaton. -E

    ReplyDelete