9.22.2011

How to be "in" with Palestinians

Today, I am going to give you all some tricks to be totally "in" with Palestinians. Oh yes, and you get this for free! But why am I not writing about the Palestinian UN bid, Obama's horrendous speech about "no shortcut to Middle East peace," or some other related topic? Well, it's great that the international media has been paying so much attention to Palestine lately, but because of this I don't want to overload you with more information. Besides, in the midst of all this excitement, life just keeps going in Palestine. So my blog keeps going too :)
Marwan, Elias, Osama and I, repping HLT at a Palestine rally in Manger Square
I will use some visual guides for my "be cool" instruction.
The "no"/"I don't want"/"I can't eat anymore" face.
Lean your head back, close your eyes, and stretch your eyebrows up as high as you can. This is especially useful when your stomach is about to burst but your host continues to insist that you "eat!"

The "shame on you"/"no"/scolding face.
Make clicking noises and shake your head back and forth. I receive this from people a lot, whether I'm dancing where I'm not supposed to or being too loud...

The "What?"/"What are you doing?"/"What's going on?" action.
Hold your hand so, and then rotate it. Especially useful when you're too lazy to say, "what?"
The "wait" action.
Bob your hand up and down, with the fingertips together like so. You see a lot of parents use this with their kids, for example when the parents are in a conversation and the kids are yelling for their parents' attention. I use this a lot with my brother Fuu'ad when he's trying to talk to me while I'm talking to someone else. 

Welp, that's enough insider scoop for now. This Monday, I am planning on heading across the border to Jordan for a couple weeks. I will be staying with a friend in Amman before I try to re-enter the West Bank (with a new visa). Please pray that my application for a new visa will go smoothly! My blog will be down for a few days each time I cross the border, so no worries if you notice that. Thanks again for all of your prayers and love.

Recent articles:

4 comments: