| This picture kind of describes how I'm feeling lately. So worn out! |
I was skyping with my parents the other day, and my mom commented that it seems like I laugh a lot here (I was sitting outside at a cafe in Bethlehem). I think this is really true. Some of my happiest times each day are when I am with Palestinian friends and family, talking in Arabic. Arabic brings a lot of joy to any conversation for me, which is good since my friends get a kick out of talking to me in Arabic haha. I love to laugh, whether it is with Marwan, with my host dad and his teasing about my belly (don't worry, I tease him about his belly too haha), or my taxi driver friend Mahmoud who will always take me ANYWHERE I want to go for just 2 1/2 shekels. God has really blessed me with beginning to appreciate what I DO have instead of missing what I don't have.
A couple highlights from recent memory:
-Skyping with Alaina Berg for the first time in over two months! She had been in Peru for an internship for two months, so it was great to hear her voice and be able to catch up some before she headed back to Wheaton.
-Finally getting to see my sister's pregnancy pictures so far. Those twins are growing so fast!!
-Someone I had just met, after we exchanged greetings, asked me if I was Arab! Very exciting.
-Starting interviews for my HLT research next week
-Being able to direct some French tourists around Bethlehem and towards the Church of the Nativity. I snuck in some explanations of the wall and the occupation while we walked. Marwan saw me outside of the office and he was so excited that I was becoming a tour guide!
| A baptism. |
| With Marwan, Meggie, and Lubna in the HLT office |
| Hanging out in front of the family shop with my host sisters and cousin |
| Another picture from my birthday. Marwan (and the rest of the HLT office) surprised me with cake! |
UN report on increased home demolitions in West Bank
Israel orders largest West Bank outpost dismantled
Ramadan in Palestine
Current things of note in Palestine and Israel
Continuing non-violent demonstrations in Nabi Salih met with Israeli force
"Seeking Balance on the Mideast"
man, Bethlehem is party central, huh? I'm glad you are enjoying yourself and starting to settle in. it's so nice when you start to feel like you know what you're doing. -E
ReplyDelete